Professional cleanings performed by a hygienist or registered dental assistant are important to your child's dental health, as are daily brushing and flossing. Using specialized tools and kid-friendly language, we will:
• Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease, and gingivitis
• Remove tartar from teeth surfaces. Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become so hardened on the teeth that its removal requires special procedures. Tartar below the gum line is also an indicator of gum disease, and generally appears on older children and adults
• Help with brushing and flossing techniques, and encouraging healthy eating habits at home to promote good oral development
• Remove surface stains from teeth through polishing
Regular examinations help detect and prevent health issues before they become serious. Twice yearly dental check-ups help catch problems when they are small and easier to treat. Left unattended, small treatable problems become worse and may require more extensive, expensive procedures to repair. Dental examinations in our office generally include the following:
• Digital x-rays to assess proper tooth development and healthy eruption of primary and permanent teeth
• Thorough examination of the teeth, looking for areas of decay, teeth that will be exfoliating (coming out soon), future orthodontic needs, and any treatment diagnosis
• Head, neck, and mouth visual examination
Read about effective at-home care and mouth protection:
• Choosing the Right Toothpaste
Our practice is focused on early treatment and prevention of dental issues. Today’s preventive care, including examinations, fluoride, and sealants, can help prevent expensive treatment in the future.
Preventive care is essential for kids, learning proper preventive care now supports your child’s overall health in the future.
By seeing a trained pediatric dentist, your child is less likely to have an experience that can traumatize their relationship with the dentist for life.
Dental Care For Infants, Toddlers And Adolescents